Adult Family Care is a program for adults with disabilities or elderly individuals who are currently living at home with the care of a family member or friend. The Adult Family Care Program can provide significant financial support to anyone who is not a spouse or who is not legally responsible for the individual (parents of minors or legal Guardians) and who already provide daily care for the individual. The primary responsibilities of the Caregiver are personal care, companionship, meal prep and 24-hour care.
Caregivers may receive up to $18,000 a year (depending on the Level of Care), as well as up to 14 days of respite care. Along with the financial benefit the Caregivers will also be able to receive CRP/First Aide training and support from the GWArc staff.
A registered nurse and care manager will conduct an onsite assessment to determine eligibility and evaluate the home in which the individual and Caregiver will be living.
Who is eligible for this program?
• must be 16 years of age or older
• must be unable to live alone because of medical, physical, cognitive or mental condition
• Must require daily assistance with one or more activities of daily living (ADLS)
• Cannot require full-time skilled nursing care
• Must be willing to live with your caregiver
• Must be eligible for MassHealth Standard or Common health ( or able to pay privately)
• Must receive approval from your physician
Who can be a caregiver?
• Must be able to provide 24-hour supervision to consumer
• Must be over the age on 18
• Caregivers may be family members or non-family members. However, caregivers cannot be a spouse or legal Guardians.
• Caregivers will be asked to to keep a daily, log, participate in training and will be visited on a monthly basis by AFC staff.
• Caregivers are required to have a current physical and TB test.
• * Caregiver will require CPR/First Aide training
• * Caregiver will need to be approved for the program ( interview, references and CORI check)
* will be provided by GWArc.
What does this program cost?
Under the AFC program, the qualified Caregiver can receive up to $1500 a month. The monthly amount is determined by which level the individual is eligible for.
If the consumer is eligible for MassHealth, then the monthly cost (approximately $1500 per month) will be paid by MassHealth. If the consumer is not eligible for MassHealth, then the cost will need to be paid privately by consumer.
Medicare does not pay for this program.
To find out more information or to check your eligibility for the program please contact Heather Chagnon, AFC Care Manager at (781)-899-1344 Ext 4145.
This is for informational purposes only. The services described are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by LPL Financial.